Veeam Backup error after vSphere 5.1 upgrade

As explained in our previous post, vSphere 5.1 GA was released yesterday.

So we quickly upgraded our homelab in order to start playing testing new features. The upgrade completed smoothly, a little bit longer than the previous ones, specially because of installation of the new vSphere components (vSphere SSO, …) but it went just fine.

On the other side, we got a little surprise this morning, as usual we received the Veeam Backup report on VM backup during the night, but in this one, all VM were in error :

When we browse in Veeam Backup console, the vCenter server was well referenced, we’re able to browse VM, datastores, etc … But all jobs have failed with the same error.

Looking deeper in the Veeam Backup log files (C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup), we found the following error:

[12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error Failed to validate license for the VM 'vShield Manager'. at Veeam.Backup.Common.CExceptionUtil. RegenTraceExc(Exception originalExc, String formatString, Object[] args)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CViPlatform.Veeam.Backup.Core.IPlatform.CheckVmHostLicense(IVmBackupTask task, CBackupTaskSession taskSess)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupJobPerformer.ExecuteBackupTask(IVmBackupTask task, ITarget target)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CBackupJobPerformer.ExecuteBackupTasks(CTasksScheduler tasksScheduler, ITarget target, IVmBackupTask[] tasks)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error Host with uuid '128bd594-ff94-1951-94ff-511999dd2bff' was not found at Veeam.Backup.Core.CHost.GetByJobsByUuid(String uuid)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CLicensedHostsProvider.GetHostType(CDbLicensedHostInfo host)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.LicenseLib.CLicenseValidator.License(CDbLicensedHostInfo host)
 [12.09.2012 09:11:22] <01> Error at Veeam.Backup.Core.CViPlatform.Veeam.Backup.Core.IPlatform.CheckVmHostLicense(IVmBackupTask task, CBackupTaskSession taskSess)
 

The ESXi 5.1 servers got new UUID following the upgrade, and that’s what causing the error, as there are some inconsistency with the UUID previously known from Veeam Backup.

In order to fix this, you just have to revoke upgraded hosts in the license manager in Veeam Backup, and retry the previously failed jobs (in the same time, it’ll register the host with its new UUID) :

5 comments

  1. easy fix once you know how… and I didn’t until I read this.
    Thank you very much. Revoking the licenses instantly resolved the issue.

    Merci

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *.